- Are headaches making normal daily tasks difficult?
- Are you having trouble sleeping because of the pain?
- Are other options for headache pain treatment not working?
What Causes Headache Pain?
Pain may be felt at the base of the skull or spread throughout the surface of the head, to the face and eyes. It may be felt on one or both sides of the head. Often other symptoms accompany headaches, such as visual disturbances (blurring, flashes of light etc), nausea, facial pain, tingling, jaw tension, teeth grinding, hearing disturbances and dizziness. Many symptoms can result from one cause.
Three major categories exist for the causes of headaches:
Headaches are often due to poorly functioning neck joints (subluxations) which affect the nerves to the neck, head and face. Other causes may include damaged muscles and ligaments of the neck, jaw imbalance, lower spine problems and cranial dysfunction. Chiropractors can be of assistance in all of these areas. Injury leading to headache may result from major trauma such as a car or sporting accident, or from repetitive minor trauma associated with poor posture, incorrect sleeping position or poor bedding.
Emotional stress increases muscular tension, particularly at the base of the neck, head and jaw. This can irritate nerves and upset blood flow, causing headaches.
Certain foods (e.g. chocolate, wine, beer, eggs, tomatoes), chemicals, and environmental pollutants may trigger an allergic-type reaction resulting in a headache.
Occasionally, headaches may be a sign of a more serious condition.
The chiropractor is educated to assist in the management of headaches, and refer the patient to other health practitioners when necessary.
Chiropractic Approach For Headaches
The chiropractor will examine and may x-ray your spine to determine its involvement in your problem. Other areas such as the jaw and skull may also be examined. A program of management will be recommended if it is considered that chiropractic care may be of benefit. After initial care to alleviate your problem, your chiropractor may recommend a suitable level of ongoing care to assist in maintaining good health and preventing future problems. Chiropractors promote body wellness, encouraging, you to keep your body at its optimum level of function so that resistance is at its peak. Looking after your spine is just part of this overall practice and philosophy.
The key to prevention is;
- Maintenance of a healthy lifestyle
- Reduction of external stresses
- Early detection of problems
This may involve:
- Regular chiropractic care to promote proper function of the spine and nerves.
- Posture – stand and sit tall, concentrate on lifting the ribcage, chin slightly tucked in. Relax your shoulders and ensure that your head is not continually turned to one side. Use document stands and sloping desk surfaces where appropriate to avoid the stress of constantly looking down. Take regular rest breaks.
- Sleeping – do not sleep on your stomach, try a contoured pillow which moulds to support the curves of the neck and use a supportive mattress.
- Relaxation – devote time each day to reducing the effects of daily stress. Ensure that you exercise regularly.
- Diet – eat fresh foods and drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration headaches.
Remember: headaches are warning signs and not the cause of your problem. Preventive steps involving regular check-ups and minimisation of body stresses are essential.
Chiropractic Treatment For Headaches
Today’s chiropractor must complete a five or six-year tertiary education. Studies are undertaken at R.M.I.T. University in Melbourne or Macquarie University in Sydney. These programs prepare the chiropractor to specialise in the care of conditions related to your spine and nervous system. Chiropractors are licensed by registration acts in all states and territories.
Chiropractic care does not require a medical referral. Workers compensation and motor vehicle accident claimants are covered. Requirements vary in each state. Private health insurers rebate for chiropractic services.
Chiropractors do not use drugs or surgery. Just like treating shoulder pain or lower back pain, chiropractic management aims to improve your health naturally so that your body can perform at its optimal level.
Here at LRCC, we focus on identifying and specifically addressing the underlying cause of your headache pain, rather than the short-term ‘quick fix’ of treating only the symptoms. Our combination of chiropractic adjustments, deep tissue massage and other chiropractic techniques is often the most thorough and appropriate way to address your complaint and pain, allowing you to get back to the lifestyle you love sooner and for the long term.
Need advice, more information or are you ready to make an appointment? Get in touch with Longueville Road Chiropractic & Health Care Centre today.