Not only is this Banana Bread delicious but also nutritious and good for the gut. Gluten free, Dairy free, nut free and also an option to go egg free. This bake will keep everyone happy.
What’s Great about it!
Bananas are a great source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function and a wonderful energy food. The add moisture and sweetness reducing the amount of sweetener and oil considerably. Resistant starch is a prebiotic and is great for healthy digestion among other health benefits, read more about resistant starch in our Ultimate Smoothie blog. The chia seed provides necessary omega 3 and macadamia nut oil is a delicious source of monounsaturated fats.
2 ripe bananas
2 apples chopped (skin on)
6 organic eggs
4 fresh pitted dates (chopped)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
60 ml macadamia nut oil, coconut oil or cold pressed olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Apple pie spice mix (1/2 tsp All Spice and ½ tsp Nutmeg)
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
45g Green banana resistant starch
25g Coconut flour
20 g (1/4 cup / 1 oz) chia seed
- Preheat your oven to 135 C– fan forced.
- Combine banana, dates, apples oil, cinnamon, spice mix, vanilla, eggs and baking powder into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and combined, – alternatively you can do this by hand in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut flour, resistant starch and chia seeds and mix through.
- Rest for 10 minutes to allow the chia and coconut flour to expand.
- Lightly oil one loaf tin and then line with baking paper – The size I used was: 10 1/2 cm wide and 26 cm long.
- Spoon batter into the tin – at this stage you can decorate the bread with flaked coconut or sliced banana before baking.
- Bake for 1 – 1.15hrs minutes (a skewer inserted into the centre should come out dry).
- Cover the top with foil if over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before turning out the loaf. Enjoy.
Notes: If you need to exclude the eggs for Vegan friend substitute per egg (2tbls chia seeds with 4tbls water allow to soak for 20mins before adding to this recipe)